Get Certified as an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor at YWCA!
Who: Candidates who are 16 years and older with swimming ability consistent with the Red Cross’ Level 4 Stroke Performance Charts (see below)
What: Join YWCA Aquatics Director Kitty Schmidt for two full weekends in April to receive your American Red Cross Certification as a Water Safety Instructor
When: Saturday, April 13th, Sunday, April 14th, Saturday, April 27th, and Sunday, April 28th, from 8 am to 4 pm each day
Where: YWCA Aquatics Center, 185 S. French Broad Avenue, Asheville NC 28801
Why: To become certified to teach Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn-to-Swim, Adult Swim Courses, and Water Safety Courses and Presentations.
- Candidates must be 16 years old on or before the last scheduled day of the Water Safety Instructor course.
- Candidates must bring in a Laptop or Smartphone.
- Candidates must demonstrate swimming proficiency consistent with the Level 4 Stroke Performance Charts:
- Front Crawl – 25 yards
- Back Crawl – 25 yards
- Breaststroke – 25 yards
- Elementary backstroke – 25 yards
- Sidestroke – 25 yards
- Butterfly – 15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute (using breaststroke, rotary, or scissor kick – no flutter kick allowed)
To be certified as a Water Safety Instructor, instructor candidates must:
- Attend and successfully participate in all course sessions
- Successfully complete the required number of practice-teaching assignments
- Score at least 80% (correctly answer 40 of 50 questions) on the Final instructor course written exam
- Demonstrate throughout the course that they are mature and responsible. Instructor trainers assess candidate’s maturity and responsibility by observing behaviors
Certificate Issued and Validity Period:
- Water Safety Instructor (r.04) Authorization is for 2 Calendar years
- $200.00 per candidate registration fee payable via phone only to YWCA Aquatics Department: (828) 254-7206 ext 110 or ext 115
- Water Safety Instructor Candidate Kit Item # 751334 (to be purchased from Red Cross HERE) $44.99
Questions? Contact Kitty Schmidt: 254-7206 x110 or 115