If you have type 2 diabetes or are at-risk, the YWCA of Asheville offers a life-changing journey: our Diabetes Wellness and Prevention Program.
Over the course of 7-1/2 months, participants and facilitators in YWCA’s Diabetes Wellness and Prevention Program explore the how and why of making healthy choices, develop valuable relationships with health professionals, and establish new friendships, all within a supportive community setting. Risk factors for type 2 diabetes include: sedentary lifestyle, obesity, insulin resistance, family history of diabetes, and chronic stress or sleep disturbance. Our program follows two evidence-based curricula, including Stanford University’s “Living Healthy with Diabetes” Diabetes Self-Management Program, and “Prevent T2” from the Center for Disease Control’s National Diabetes Prevention Program.
Our next session begins January 16th, 2019! Join today for an affordable (sliding scale) monthly fee. Membership to the YWCA Fitness and Aquatics Center is included with your registration! For more information or to register, contact YWCA’s Preventive Health Coordinator Leah Berger-Singer at 828.254.7206 or email email@example.com.
Participants in YWCA’s Diabetes Wellness and Prevention Program meet twice weekly for 7 and 1/2 months to:
EXPLORE IMPORTANT TOPICS
- Monitoring blood glucose (sugar)
- Engaging in physical activity
- Making healthy food choices, planning meals, controlling portion size and counting carbohydrates
- Knowing your medications
- Understanding complications associated with diabetes
- Managing stress and social situations
- Setting goals and problem solving
ENJOY PROGRAM PERKS
- Affordable monthly fee
- Weekly educational support groups
- Membership to the YWCA Fitness and Aquatic Center AT NO COST to you!
- Small group fitness training designed for YOU by a Certified Fitness Coach
- Consultation with a Mission Hospital pharmacist
- Screenings for HbA1C, Cholesterol, Blood Pressure and more!
- Oversight by a Certified Diabetes Educator
“The program has provided healthy eating ideas and the exercise [component] is a motivator… the support from the members in the group is very influential. It makes a big influence in motivation.”
– Belinda Toney lowered her HbA1C from 10.8 to 7.4 in four months after joining DWP in 2018
“If it wasn’t for going to the YWCA I would be lost. Because I didn’t know what I was doing… Going to the classes empowered me to ask the questions to the doctor and to find out what I needed to do and to actually do it…”
– Cindy Hope is no longer in and out of the hospital and discovered that she is not alone in her journey
“I feel good because I’m eating food that is good for me and I’m working on my body. The DWP (Program) has saved my life… I’ll forever be thankful for the opportunity to have taken this class and would recommend it to anyone looking to work on bettering themselves and making healthier life choices.”
– Angel Wall lost 72lbs and 9 inches since starting the program in August 2017
Our next session begins January 16th, 2019! Join today for an affordable (sliding scale) monthly fee. Membership to the YWCA Fitness and Aquatics Center is included with your registration! For more information or to register, contact YWCA’s Preventive Health Coordinator Leah Berger-Singer at 828.254.7206 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you think that YWCA’s Diabetes Wellness and Prevention may be for you, call Leah Berger-Singer today!