YWCA Job Openings: Come work with us
Thank you for your interest in a position with YWCA of Asheville. If you’re passionate about eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all, we want you on our team! Here individuals can make a difference, and we seek those who share our values to support our mission. Check out the current YWCA job openings below.
Current Job Openings
We are always accepting independent contractor resumes for currently certified Group Exercise Instructors and Personal Trainers. Resumes should be sent to: Fitness.Coordinator@ywcaofasheville.org
- Works together with co-teacher to produce the curriculum for each day and to provide a schedule for the class ensuring that curriculum guidelines and requirements established by the center are met.
- Stays up-to-date on and implements rules and regulations regarding health, safety, and cleanliness for a five-star- rated child care center.
- Stays up-to-date on the latest theories of and best practices for promoting language, cognitive, social and emotional, and physical development for children in the assigned classroom.
- Works together with co-teacher to ensure that administrative tasks are accomplished each day.
- Directs volunteers in the classroom ensuring compliance with all regulations and also ensuring a quality experience for the volunteer.
- Interacts appropriately with parents when present in the classroom; ensures that parents are informed of children’s daily activities, health concerns, eating habits, and other areas of interest to the family.
- Models positive behavior for children according to the culture and mission of the YWCA, including non-violent speech and action and respect for all.
- Participates actively and positively in the YWCA’s initiatives toward reducing childhood obesity; acts as a role model and provides positive guidance to children toward trying new foods, appropriate table manners, and the enjoyment of exercise.
POSITION TITLE: Lifeguard
REPORTS TO: Aquatics Coordinator
FUNCTION: Lifeguards ensure the safety of all aquatics participants by preventing accidents, informing participants of and enforcing the rules. Lifeguards also assist in the maintenance of the facility and program operations to ensure that all participants have a good experience.
- Maintains vigilance over pool participants from a position on the pool deck.
- Becomes familiar with physical circumstances of participants, paying attention to visible medical conditions and limitations. Learns participants’ names.
- Assist participants as needed, projecting professionalism.
- Collects tickets and logs each participant to record attendance in each activity.
- Attends mandatory in-service trainings as arranged by the Aquatics Coordinator.
- Immediately communicates any problems or issues affecting the safety and enjoyment of participants to the Aquatics Coordinator or Aquatics Assistant—by telephone if necessary.
- When serving an opening or closing shift, performs extra duties defined by the Aquatics Coordinator or Aquatics Assistant.
- Tests the water temperature and condition at regular intervals during shift according to schedule and standards set by the Aquatics Coordinator or Aquatics Assistant. Accurately records results.
- When not supervising participants, takes initiative to organize program supplies and toys, arrange ropes for the next activity, clean the deck, check the First Aid Kit, and perform other duties as described by the Aquatics Coordinator or Aquatics Assistant.
- Provides excellent customer service, ensuring that all members and participants at the YWCA are welcomed, provided with accurate and complete information, and shown respect and appreciation. Willingly and responsibly facilitates solutions to problems presented by staff, members, and participants.
- Assumes other responsibilities appropriate for the position as requested by the YWCA administration.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding information about participants and colleagues.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Education level: High school degree or equivalent.
Experience: 2 years as a lifeguard.
Certifications:American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification
Other: Able to perform CPR and basic first aid.
Technical: Basic computer literacy.
HOURS OF WORK: Part time, potentially including evenings and weekends.
STARTING WAGE RANGE: $10.00 per hour
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION TITLE: Empowerment Childcare Counselor
DEPARTMENT: Empowerment Childcare Program
REPORTS TO: Director of Empowerment Childcare
FUNCTION: Empowerment Childcare Counselors are responsible for ensuring that children in the care of the Empowerment Center are safe, have sanitary conditions, have activities, interaction with counselors or volunteers, and are provided with food according to guidelines. The Empowerment Childcare Center serves the children of Motherlove participants and of Club W members. The position is part time, year round and non-exempt.
- Ensures that the center is open, safe, and cleaned using the prescribed sanitation methods.
- Ensures that parents dropping off children are personally greeted and that parents remain confident that the center is safe and clean and is providing appropriate stimulation for their children. Maintain a high level of organization when handling the possessions of child participants.
- Ensures that staffing levels are appropriate for the number of children at all times by regulating intake of Health and Fitness participants if necessary.
- Provides structure and maintain order by making sure that age-appropriate activities are available and develop new activities as required. Participate in activities with children and exercise approved methods of redirection when needed.
- Maintain a tidy environment in the Center throughout the day and evening. Engage children in clean up and set up.
- Engages with and explains protocols to volunteers when needed. Facilitate volunteer-led activities.
- Ensures that food is prepared and served appropriately. Provides healthy options. Advises the director when food is needed; creates lists.
- Coordinates and consults with parents on concerns such as improper clothing or inadequate provisions. Advises parents on child’s daily activity; include reports on any problems the children encountered.
- Adopts appropriate tone with parents. Practices good customer service at all times.
- Reports non-compliance regarding provisions as well as non-compliance regarding pick-up time to the director immediately.
- Ensures that information (contact information, allergies, etc.) on parents and children are up to date at all times by using prescribed sign in procedures.
- Ensures that parents sign in and out at every visit and that appropriate forms are completed and up to date.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Education level: High school diploma or higher
Experience: Must have experience working with children in a daycare setting
Certifications: EDU119 is minimum requirement
HOURS OF WORK: Hours vary between day and evening hours, some Saturday mornings required.
STARTING WAGE RANGE: $13.65 per hour for part time, $12.16 per hour for full time with benefits.
FLSA STATUS: non-exempt
HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter: email@example.com
Certified Water Exercise Instructor-Part time
Certified Water Aerobics Instructor needed, must have a current certificate in United States Water Fitness or equivalent and a current CPR/AED certificate.
Women and People of Color are encouraged to apply. Qualified candidates who are fluent in Spanish and English are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications and resumes should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION TITLE: Guest Services Associate
DEPARTMENT: Health and Wellness
REPORTS TO: Guest Services Supervisor
FUNCTION: Guest Services is responsible for the efficient management of the reception area in the entrance lobby with a focus on pleasurable guest experiences and the safety and security of all who enter the YWCA facilities. As the “face of the organization,” our Guest Services staff provides an excellent first impression by being well informed, computer literate, and exhibiting a pleasant demeanor. This position is part-time, non-exempt, reports to the Guest Services Supervisor and provides support for the Membership Coordinator. Work on weekends, early mornings and evenings is required.
- Responsible for Guest Services as a primary public point of communication with program participants, Health & Wellness members, and other visitors ensuring that accurate and up-to-date information about all programs and operations is provided.
- Provides excellent customer service, ensuring that all members, guests and participants are greeted in a friendly, respectful, and courteous manner. Excellent customer service includes providing information and assistance in a professional manner. Maintains a positive relationship with regular members and program participants.
- Utilizes database effectively and efficiently for all interaction and transactions. Ensures money is accurate at the end of each shift. Ensures that all merchandise sold is correctly accounted for by department.
- Successfully completes the sign up process for Fitness Club memberships and programs. Ensures that the computer responsibilities associated with all registrations are completed correctly.
- Manages building security by opening and closing, using the alarm system, and controlling access to the building as appropriate.
- Facilitates communication throughout the building. Ensures all phone calls are answered efficiently and courteously and transferred appropriately. Notifies Membership Coordinator of urgent needs and notifies correct personnel of any emergency situations. Directs guests to appropriate location as needed.
- Maintains an organized and presentable membership desk and lobby. This includes periodically wiping front doors and filing paperwork.
- Monitors individual email account to stay up to date on information.
- Follows established schedule and required to attend monthly staff meetings, one-on-one meetings with the Guest Services Supervisor, and any trainings as needed.
- Assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the Membership Coordinator. This may include small projects from other departments when needed, i.e. stuffing envelopes, helping input data, or assisting with special events.
- Qualified candidates who are fluent in Spanish and English are encouraged to apply.
- High school diploma or higher is required.
- Computer literacy (email, for example) is required. The willingness and capacity to learn data entry using specialized YWCA software is also required.
- A pleasant demeanor and the ability to work with people in difficult situations are required.
- Initiative and willingness to find solutions to membership and guest services inefficiencies.
- Guest Services staff is required to present a well groomed appearance and wear attire as described in the YWCA Personnel Handbook.
Guest Services employees work at a desk for long hours operating a personal computer. They may be required to stand for long periods as well. Employees will occasionally be asked to distribute salt on the front entrance way during winter weather conditions.
HOURS OF WORK: 15-20 hours per week, with opportunity for more in the future
STARTING WAGE RANGE: $10.00-10.50 per hour
HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter: email@example.com
POSITION TITLE: Kitchen Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Preventive Health
REPORTS TO: Nutrition Coordinator
FUNCTION: The kitchen assistant supports food production, kitchen safety and sanitation for the YWCA’s Child Care Programs. Responsibilities include preparing snack/meals, washing dishes and cleaning the kitchen, and serving food to children.
• Under the direction of the Nutrition Coordinator and Kitchen Manager, works independently or as part of a team to prepare food for the lunch and/or afternoon snack for the Child Care programs, and preps food for the following day.
• Delivers food to classrooms as required.
• Communicates needs from teachers to kitchen manager staff.
• Washes dishes used in preparation and children’s dishes following meal service and cleans kitchen equipment and surfaces as required.
• Under the direction of the Child Nutrition Coordinator follows all protocols for sanitation both in preparation of food and clean-up of the kitchen and dishes.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Education level: High school diploma and above
Experience: Some experience in a commercial kitchen preferred
Certifications: ServSafe certification is preferred but not required
HOURS OF WORK: Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 1:00pm
STARTING WAGE RANGE: $13.65 per hour
FLSA STATUS: non- exempt, part time
HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:
Deadline to apply is: June 30th, 2019
Title: Development Coordinator
Reports to: Chief Advancement Officer
Effective Date: July 12, 2019
Position Summary: As a member of the Advancement team, the Development Coordinator works to coordinate the planning and implementation of the overall annual fundraising plan, including all events, mailings, and other donor contacts required for sustainable resource development. The ideal candidate: 1) is passionate about social justice, 2) is highly organized and detail-oriented, 3) is a “do-er” and 4) enjoys
working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and inclusive environment. The position is full-time, year-round, benefits eligible and exempt.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Empower Hour Implementation:
Coordinates Empower Hour bi-monthly tours and Ambassador management, including reservations and leading tours as needed
Compiles data and reports regularly on all aspects of the Empower Hour program
Provides staff support for the Events Committee and the Sustainability Committee including planning, implementation and evaluation of all special events or social activities related to donor cultivation, stewardship and solicitation
Coordinates logistics with event venues and manages logistics of event set up
Responsible for overall donor database management; creation and maintenance of accurate donor records, gifts, and in-kind donations, creating queries, segmented lists and reports
Maintains accurate records of donor pledges, creates pledge reminders, and tracks pledge payments
Responsible for making sure all donor acknowledgement pieces are timely and meaningful
Assists in the creation and implementation of Donor Cultivation Plans -resulting in 30 multiyear
giving society members annually, at least $60,000 in Leadership Challenge gifts and a minimum of 3 new legacy society donors.
Works with the Advancement team to identify and engage sponsor prospects and create sponsor benefit package
Work with YWCA staff to identify meaningful volunteer, intern and service learning opportunities within the organization for both individuals and groups. Work to promote these opportunities in the community and recruit volunteers from a variety of sources, including HandsOn Buncombe (United Way), YWCA Empower Hour tours, and self-referrals.
With support, provide initial orientation, screening (including background checks for those working with children), and work with program staff to place volunteers in their new positions. Monitor ongoing placements. Plan and implement all volunteer recognition and appreciation efforts. Document volunteer hours and manage volunteer paperwork as needed.
Help to sustain and expand partnerships between the YWCA and other organizations on shared projects and activities.
Coordinate YW outreach at community festivals and events that promote the YW mission of Eliminating Racism, Empowering Women and Promoting Peace, Justice, Freedom, and Dignity for All.
Maintain awareness of Development budget, both revenue and expense, and works within that budget to ensure departmental compliance with the organizational budget
Coordinates with Finance to ensure the accuracy of reports and consistency of data between donor management software and accounting software-performs monthly reconciliation
Stays current and continually improves knowledge and understanding of the resource development profession
Demonstrates behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible
Works cooperatively and effectively as a team member by communicating and contributing information on a continuous basis
Attends in service and staff meetings
Assumes other responsibilities as may be appropriate for the position
Works at desk for long hours and operates personal computer
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: frequently required to move throughout the building, required to sit for long periods of time in front of the computer screen, may occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects or boxes.
Two or more years of experience in fundraising, sales, event management or similar
Demonstrated record of database management
HOURS OF WORK: Monday — Friday 9 am to 5 pm, occasional duties in the evening and weekends required
STARTING WAGE RANGE: $30,000-$37,000 FLSA STATUS: Full-time, year-round, benefits
eligible and exempt.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: August 9, 2019
P/T Marketing & Communications Assistant
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing and Communications
The Marketing & Communications Assistant provides administrative, creative, and technical support to the Director of Marketing & Communications and the YWCA’s Advancement Department that is on brand, on message, and furthers the goals of the YWCA’s mission-based work, while increasing participation in the YWCA’s programs and supporting fundraising efforts. The ideal candidate: 1) is passionate about social justice, 2) is highly organized and detail-oriented, 3) is a “do-er” and 4) enjoys working in a fast- paced, collaborative, and inclusive environment. This position is part-time, year-round and non-exempt.
- Generate copy for organizational messaging across multiple platforms and media
- Research and brainstorm for key efforts and campaigns
- Create and manage social media content (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Research and analyze online marketing efforts (Google AdWords, Facebook Ads)
- Maintain print, radio, and online advertising and underwriting
- Identify stories, plan and generate content for emails, blog posts and newsletters
- Photograph events and programs to tell the story of our organization
- Design, produce, and maintain organization of flyers, brochures, rack cards, etc
- Distribute flyers and print collateral in the community
- Attend community outreach events
- Draft press releases, advocacy letters and papers, and organizational statements
- Maintain historical archives
- Update WordPress website as needed
- Support crisis communications
- Update marquee and lobby signage as needed
- Support Advancement and Development personnel via donor and member database management as needed
- Computer and digital literacy to include MS Office, G-Suite, WordPress, Social Media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter (Adobe Creative Suite is a plus)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented and creative
- Strong work ethic and dependable
- Self-motivated and can work independently without constant supervision
- Reliable transportation and ability to work in the office environment provided
- Commitment to the organization’s values and culture of diversity, inclusion and empowerment
HOURS OF WORK: 20 hours per week, flexible, occasional duties in the evening or on the weekend
STARTING WAGE RANGE: $15 per hour plus Membership to our Fitness and Aquatics Center
FLSA STATUS: The position is part-time, year-round, non-exempt
HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: August 16th