Click Here to print out a copy of our Employee Application. Applications cannot be submitted online.
Guest Services Associate: Part-time, Non-Exempt
YWCA of Asheville and Western North Carolina – Asheville, NC
Position Summary: Guest Services is responsible for the efficient management of the reception area in the entrance lobby with a focus on pleasurable guest experiences and the safety and security of all who enter the YWCA facilities. As the “face of the organization,” our Guest Services staff provides an excellent first impression by being well informed, computer literate, and exhibiting a pleasant demeanor. This position is part-time, non-exempt and reports to the Membership Coordinator. Work on weekends, early mornings and evenings is required.
The YWCA fosters a team environment and seeks employees who are dedicated to promoting our mission: eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for Guest Services as a primary public point of communication with program participants, Club W and Aquatics members, and other visitors ensuring that accurate and up-to-date information about all programs and operations is provided. Ensures all phone calls are answered efficiently and courteously, and transferred appropriately.
· Provides excellent customer service, ensuring that all members, guests and participants are greeted in a friendly, respectful, and courteous manner. Excellent customer service includes providing information and assistance in a professional manner.
· Establishes a welcoming, friendly, helpful tone for the organization that develops and maintains a positive relationship with members, visitors, program participants.
· Manages building security by opening and closing, by using the alarm system and controlling access to the building as appropriate.
· Follows established schedule, utilizes database effectively and efficiently for all interaction and transactions. Ensures money is accurate at the end of each shift. Ensures that all merchandise sold is correctly accounted for by department.
· Facilitates communication throughout the building. Notifies maintenance and housekeeping of urgent needs and notifies correct personnel of any emergency situations. Directs guests to appropriate location as needed.
· Monitors individual email account to stay up to date on information pertaining to the organizational operations. Passes out all activity cards to members.
· Successfully completes the sign up process for Club W memberships, swim lessons and Silver Sneaker participants. Ensures that the computer responsibilities associated with all new registrations are completed correctly.
· Engages in organizational activities as appropriate and is required to attend bi-weekly staff meetings, one-on-one meetings with your supervisor and any trainings as needed.
· Assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the Membership Coordinator. This may include small projects from other departments when needed, i.e. stuffing envelopes, helping input data, or assisting with special events.
· Basic computer literacy (email, for example) is required. The willingness and capacity to learn data entry using specialized YWCA software is also required.
· A pleasant demeanor and the ability to work with people in difficult situations are required.
· Guest Services staff is required to present a well groomed appearance and wear attire as described in the YWCA Personnel Handbook. This includes wearing an official YWCA shirt while on duty.
An employee in Guest Services works at a desk for long hours, may be required to stand and operates a personal computer. This employee will occasionally be asked to distribute salt on the front entrance way during winter weather conditions.
People of color are encouraged to apply. Qualified candidates who are fluent in Spanish and English are strongly encouraged to apply. Please apply for this position only after reading the complete job description.
Please do not call the YWCA to discuss this position.
Application deadline is April 30, 2015.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Title: AmeriCorps VISTA
- YWCA of Asheville and Western North Carolina– Asheville, NC
Are you passionate about creating change, eliminating racism, empowering women and ensuring that every child is healthy and successful? Do you want to help strengthen the future of an organization with a 108-year history of social justice and community support in Asheville?
Underserved, low-income students need a wide spectrum of support to ensure they are successful and to help combat the achievement gap as they progress through Asheville City Schools. The YWCA supports students through three of our programs and this VISTA position will help build the capacity of these programs.
• Free membership to an onsite, full-service gym with solar-heated pool
• Onsite child care
• Opportunities for training, leadership and skills development
• A diverse and welcoming working environment
• A strong desire to support the YWCA’s mission of eliminating racism and empowering women
• Meet Americorps VISTA requirements, including a 4-year degree
• Excellent research, writing, & editing skills
• Strong written & oral communication skills
• Experience working in an educational setting or a nonprofit a plus
• Demonstrated ability to think through challenges & brainstorm solutions
• Previous grant writing experience a plus
Skills You’ll Learn or Hone
• Community building
• Nonprofit advocacy
• Needs assessment
• Grant proposal writing
• Grant prospecting
• Capacity building
The YWCA of Asheville strives to be a leader in the community of Western North Carolina, fully representing its diversity and working for peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all people. Each staff member makes the difference. If you share our commitment and passion, and you think you would be a great fit for this position, please submit an application today. This position will be held in partnership with Asheville City Schools Foundation's Learning Links program and the YWCA of Asheville.
Please visit Americorps website to view and apply for the opportunity by May 30th.