Diabetes Wellness & Prevention Program
The goals of the program are to:
• Empower individuals with diabetes or those at risk of diabetes to develop the habit of exercise
• Reduce the incidence of diabetes, through exercise and education that supports healthy eating
• Promote healthy lifestyle changes for the entire family
The program includes:
• Membership to the YWCA Club W Fitness Center and Pool
• Peer mentoring
• Fitness counseling
• Monthly dinners with educational presentations
• Weekly support groups
• Other special opportunities with health partners
The program is available on a sliding scale and is open to anyone who has two of the four main risk factors for diabetes: diagnosed pre-diabetes, family history of diabetes, a sedentary lifestyle, or obesity.
Here's what some of the participants have to say:
“I didn’t know I could feel this good.”
"I can put my shoes on by myself again. I hadn't done that in two years!"
"Not only do you get a chance to exercise and meet new people, but you get to be around people with problems like you have."
"I can bend down - doing full knee bends in the garden. I couldn't do that last spring!"
Click here to see a video of Diabetes Wellness Testimonials – actual responses of people who've been through the program.
For more information, contact Leah Berger-Singer, Preventive Health Coordinator at email@example.com or call 254-7206 ext. 212.
Salsa, Sabor y Salud Program
“Salsa, Sabor y Salud” Program (Salsa) is a program developed by the National Latino Children’s Institute (NCIL) and facilitated by two certified leaders on-site at the YWCA of Asheville. Facilitators and volunteers help both parents and children think about physical activity and healthy eating every day. Learn more.