Thank you for your interest in sharing your time and talents with the YWCA. Volunteers are critical to the YWCA’s mission, and we simply couldn’t do it without your help and support.
The YWCA of Asheville has volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups. Whether you’re looking to tutor kids in our After School Program, assist with clerical duties or help with special events; we work to match the volunteer’s interests and talents with available programs.
Please see our list of current volunteer opportunities below.
Download the volunteer application in a Word Document or PDF Format.
After School (Monday – Thursday, 4 pm – 6 pm)
• Academic Coaching – The program will match the volunteer with a child who will benefit from a one-on-one relationship throughout the school year. Meet at least once a week, for one to two hours. Providing homework help and other skill building/self-esteem building activities.
• Tutoring – Attend the ‘homework club’ classroom during After School hours and offer help to any child or children needing assistance that day.
• Enrichment – offer one-time or multiple sessions for enrichment in your area of interest (music, art, etc.)
• Seasonal help needed preparing and maintaining garden.
Drop-In Childcare (Monday – Thursday, 8 am – 8 pm & Friday 8 am – 3 pm)
• Database Support – provide regular, ongoing help with data entry regarding Drop-In participants. Become familiar with the data collection and entry process and help on a regular basis (recommended weekly)
• Help supervise children in the Drop-in Child Care Center
Child Care Center (Monday – Friday, 7am – 7pm)
• Reading and storytelling
• Group enrichment experiences
• Assist with lunches to facilitate Rainbow In My Tummy
• Office support & collection parent information when needed.
MotherLove (flexible time commitment)
• Help behind the scenes – donating baby clothes, maternity clothes, baby care items, toys or new school supplies, diapers, and formula are all greatly appreciated.
• Join us for our monthly Group meetings here at the YWCA and help a young parent learn new skills for her life as a successful parent and student.
• Experienced volunteers may become eligible for our mentoring training. Mentors are matched with a teen parent for a more intensive support experience.
Health & Wellness (flexible time commitment)
• Guest speakers at support group meetings or monthly dinner lectures on topics connected with health management.
• Assist with ‘Family Style’ lunch service in the Child Care Center by helping children serve themselves and encouraging them to try new foods. Daily lunches start around 11:00 and are finished by 12:00.
Administration & General Support (flexible time commitment)
• General office support includes copying, filing, organizing, stuffing envelopes, etc.
• Translating organizational documents into Spanish
• Maintenance/Janitorial duties
• Empower Hour Tours are held the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month, 11:30 am to 12:30 pm. Assistance is needed from 11:00 to 1:00 with greeting, setting up for lunch, and clean up.
• YWCA Archives – assist with organizing newspaper clippings, etc.
• Events – the YW puts on multiple events small and large each year. Volunteers are needed before, during, and after each event to pack, sort, do check-in, help set up and break down.
Gerry Leonard, Volunteer Coordinator
828-254-7206 x 219